●Discussion & Exercise 討論與練習
Use the power of English intelligently and effectively.
Do business expertly and successfully.
Business writing is the type of communication used in today's business world. It includes letters, emails, faxes, memos, presentations, reports, résumés or CVs, and other kinds of documents.
Business writing is read for information. Business writing should be clearly formatted with short paragraphs, headers, and bulleted or numbered lists. A well-written business document allows readers to grasp the main ideas by skimming only the information that is relevant to them.
Business writing is often used to make or implement decisions. Readers may also use business writing to communicate information to others in a speech or during a meeting.
●Key Terms: useful keywords that are relevant to the topic.
●Discussion & Exercise: questions and activities that will allow readers to reflect on and practice the language learned.
●Authentic Materials: realistic examples of a variety of business correspondence.
Practical Information: informative and clear guidance that will help readers during the writing process.
Michelle Witte was born in the USA. After working as a writing trainer, she moved to Thailand to teach English. Since then, she has spent much of her adult life teaching and writing in east and southeast Asia. She is the author of five English textbooks and a collection of short stories.
- Chapter 1 Writing Business Letters
- 1 What is business writing ?
- 2 How do I begin to write well for business ?
- 3 Kinds of Business Writing ( 1 ) : Indented Style
- 4 Kinds of Business Writing ( 2 ) : Block Style
- 5 Kinds of Business Writing ( 3 ) : Modif ied Block Style
- 6 The Envelope
- 7 Basic Elements of a Business Letter
- 8 Other Concerns in Business Letters
- 9 Sample Business Letter
- 10 Analysis : Sample Business Letters
- 11 How do I focus on the reader in my writing ?
- 12 Principles of Business Writing : AIDA
- 13 Principles of Business Writing : The Eight Cs
- 14 How do I write good openings and endings ?
- 15 How do I set the proper tone ?
- Chapter 2 Writing Faxes and Email
- 1 What are the principles for writing faxes and email ?
- 2 What are the principles for writing email ?
- 3 Email Etiquette
- Chapter 3 Writing a Memo
- 1 What are the principles for writing a memo ?
- 2 What is the format of a memo ?
- 3 How do I write a business memo ?
- Chapter 4 Writing a Report
- 1 What is a report ?
- 2 What are the basic principles of report writing ?
- 3 What are the basic elements of a report ?
- 4 How do I write different sections of a report ?
- 5 Writing the Findings Section
- 6 Writing the Conclusions Section
- 7 Writing the Recommendations Section
- Chapter 5 Letters of Request and Letters of Response
- 1 How do I write a letter of request ?
- 2 How do I respond to a letter of request ?
- 3 Negative responses
- 4 Common phrases for request letters and responses
- Chapter 6 Inquiries and Offers
- 1 How do I write a letter of inquiry ?
- 2 What is a letter of quotation ?
- 3 Common phrases for letters of inquiry and quotation letters
- Chapter 7 Orders and Responses
- 1 What are orders and order letters ?
- 2 Responding to an order letter
- 3 Common phrases in order letters
- Chapter 8 Payment
- 1 What is a credit inquiry letter ?
- 2 What are payment terms ?
- 3 How do I write letters pressing for payment ?
- 4 Common phrases for letters about payment
- Chapter 9 Complaints and Responses
- 1 How do I write a letter of complaint ?
- 2 How do I respond to letters of complaint ?
- 3 Responding to unjustified complaints
- 4 Common phrases for writing and responding to complaints
- Chapter 10 Sales Letters
- 1 What are business relations ?
- 2 Other sales letters
- 3 Follow - up letters to customers
- 4 Common phrases in sales letters
- Chapter 11 Other Types of Business Correspondence
- 1 Correspondence about shipping : letters of shipment terms
- 2 Correspondence about shipping : letters of shipping advice
- 3 Correspondence regarding insurance
- 4 Correspondence regarding change of company address
- 5 Correspondence regarding a merger of companies
- 6 Correspondence regarding tenders and bids
- 7 An invitation to tender
- 8 A letter of intent
- 9 A letter of award
- 10 Common phrases for other types of business correspondence
- Chapter 12 Job Hunting Communications
- 1 Want ads
- 2 Employment application letters
- 3 Writing CVs
- 4 Writing résumés
- 5 Common phrases in job-hunting communications
- Chapter 13 Human Resources - Related Communication
- 1 Notification of a job offer
- 2 Notification of rejection
- 3 Accepting a job offer
- 4 Declining a job offer
- 5 Notification of termination
- 6 Resignation letters
- 7 Common phrases in human resources - related communication
- Chapter 14 Reference Letters
- 1 Writing reference letters
- 2 Requesting references
- 3 Common phrases in reference letters
- Chapter 15 Invitations
- 1 How do I write business invitations ?
- 2 Writing informal invitations
- 3 Inviting a guest to make a speech
- 4 Accepting a formal invitation
- 5 Declining a formal invitation
- 6 Thanking a guest for making a speech
- 7 Common phrases for making and responding to invitations
- Chapter 16 Letters of Apology
- 1 How do I write letters of apology ?
- 2 Apology for a late shipment
- 3 Apology for a defective shipment
- 4 Apology for accounting errors
- 5 Common phrases for letters of apology
- Chapter 17 Letters of Congratulations
- 1 How do I write a letter of congratulations ?
- 2 Congratulations on a promotion
- 3 Congratulations on the completion of a project
- 4 Congratulations on the expansion of a business
- 5 Congratulations on an anniversary with a company
- 6 Common phrases for letters of congratulations